No before, but here's a progress shot. The before was like this, but with yarn shoved messily into the cubbies.
Mission #1 for this overhaul: stash the crafts I don't have time for elsewhere. Knitting takes up 90% of my efforts, but I did allow the drawing and painting supplies to stay since they're pretty self-contained in a little desk, and the ukulele (and it's brother, the cheap-child's-guitar-turned-bastard-baritone-uke) as well.
That bottom arrow should say "files, duh" but for some reason that caption didn't stick. Huh. Skitch is weird.
The spinning wheel is still up here at the moment because I have ONE (count 'em ONE) batch of top that I still need to spin up, but I spent the last two weeks spinning every other single thing in my fiber stash so that I could get that hobby off the map for awhile.
But paper crafts, glitters, glues, fancy tapes, etc? Down to the basement to live with my banished jewelry-making supplies. This room is just too dang small not to be focused. I moved from a fairly giant studio in our last place to an itsy bitsy one here, and I have to just keep trimming away more and more fat to keep the room from being overwhelmed. Someday, if I ever get more of my stash knit up without immediately replacing it (a gal can dream) I might be able to move some of those things back up into the Expedit. But not now.
Mission #2: Reorganize the yarn. I am forever torn about how to organize my stash. "By Color" is by far the prettiest, but when it comes time to do colorwork it can be hard to remember what yarns you have in multiple colorways... and what do you do with those dastardly multis? (I've pretty much banished heavily variegated skeins from my stash, with one or two exceptions, but I still have self-striping to contend with.) By weight or brand solves that problem, but just looks so blah. I like to rearrange every few months anyway just to keep everything aired-out and bug-free, so this time, it's color, and I kinda love it. I organized the books the same way, 'cause why not. I also took the time to re-wind the hand-wound balls into cakes so that they'd stack more nicely. A pain in the ass (and I hate to think of how much time I wasted winding them in the first place) but worth it from a sanity-saving perspective.
My biggest challenge is contending with WIPs and "FOs-waiting-to-be-blocked-and-photographed-and-published". Right now they sort of lounge about on all the flat surfaces but I would not mind finding a better solution. It'd be nice to mount some shelves in here, but I get a bit shy around projects that involve finding studs. (Insert "stud" joke here.) I also need to touch up the wall paint where the couch scuffed it up, and hang some art...but that probably also involves acquiring a drill, I haven't had much luck hammering into the plaster.
The astute among you might be wondering where that awesome green velvet couch that I posted on Instagram two months ago is - the answer is "sitting in the basement and thinking about what it's done." That is to say- offgassing the horrible reek of formaldehyde and death that comes part and parcel with new, cheapish furniture. I hope to be able to move it up here soon. I also need a new quilt for this room, to protect the new couch from dogs/keep my freezing tootsies warm while I work... which may explain my recent obsession. The pink one just doesn't.... go.
And finally, my poor sad dressforms who I treat like coatracks: