Thursday, July 19, 2012
Doomed to mediocrity
This ball of Cascade Jewel is one of my stash's oldest residents. You can see it here, in the second post I ever made on my old knitting blog (please don't ask what happened to those half-finished designs, because I have no idea.) And at that point, it had been in my stash for quite some time.
Since I have owned this yarn:
- the shop it was purchased at closed
- I began designing
- One relationship ended, another one began, and eventually graduated to marriage
- Speaking of graduating, that happened too
- I moved from Portland to Michigan, to Ohio, to Michigan, back to Portland, and back to Michigan. This yarn has lived with me in 5 houses, 4 apartments, and a dorm room.
- I got my last dog, Rocky
- Rocky died at a ripe old age, and Rupert and Pog showed up
- The 5th through 8th Harry Potter movies happened
This yarn has been around the block a bit, quietly languishing as its peers came and went, on to better and brighter things. Over the years I've planned to make it into armwarmers, batwings, earflap hats, but it just never happened. But now, finally, I have called upon it.
...to be an experimental prototype for a project in the book that will be published in a different yarn. Probably a half-finished one since I think there's not quite enough yardage. Sorry bud, we can't all be destined for greatness.