Monday, August 10, 2009
I've been meaning to knit this hat for ages, and I finally had some yarn that seemed destined for just such a project. I was a bit pleased when the construction turned out to be just what I thought it would be... it seemed to work in theory but I'd never actually tried it before. Hooray! I feel smart.
Pattern: Leethal's Spiraling Stripes Hat, the very first version in the pattern.
Yarn: One of my handspuns from my brief participation in the Tour de Fleece. It's very lumpy.... too lumpy for my tastes, in some places, but I like it anyway.
Mods: Bigger yarn, size 10 needles. I'm not entirely sure how many wedges I did... I just went til it fit around my head. I used the same cast on number, though, so it's a tad slouchy. Even so it actually fits tightly and is a nice thick fabric, and so should be much warmer than the majority of my hats. Yay! I also grafted it shut instead of doing a three needle bind-off, which would've been a good idea with any other yarn, but was sort of a nightmare with this stuff.
I also made these goofy little wristwarmers with the leftovers....I will probably never wear them. Oh well.
I have another Leethal hat pattern or two sitting around that I've been meaning to get to as well...I'm getting a bit sick of knitting with sock yarn so perhaps I'll take another break soon.
And a sneak peak of the pattern that I'll be putting up this week, probably tomorrow:
I'm calling it the Bad Oyster Scarf. I'll send a free copy to anyone who guesses why before I post it ;-)